Saturday, September 12, 2009

Remembrance of things past

Yesterday when I was checking Facebook updates of friends, one friend had suggested that everyone post a little blurb of what they were doing on September 11, 2001 when the planes hit the World Trade Center. I posted a little blurb, but I thought my blog would be a better space to say more.

We were maybe three weeks into my first semester of grad. school at The University of Iowa. I had just finished teaching a 7:30 AM freshman rhetoric class. I was sitting in the grad. student lab in the basement of the English Philosophy Building, finishing up a peer response sheet for the next day's peer review session on the first paper of the semester.

In walked a fellow graduate student. She looked terrible, and I asked what was wrong.

"Do you have any idea what just happened?"

Everything just sort of stopped. No more clicking of computer keys or anything. All of us in the room had been in class for the past hour, so no, we had no idea what just happened. When the newly arrived graduate student told us, we rushed into the reading center down the hall, where there was a television, to find out more. About 15 people, clustered around a TV screen, watched the second tower fall.

Good thing I was done teaching for the day and could go home. Everything felt surreal. I remember taking a walk through my Coralville neighborhood and wondering if the world was turning crazy. I didn't really know many people yet, although I did call my sister-in-law, who traveled a lot, to make sure she was okay and not stranded in an airport. I thought about all the missionaries who were in airports all over the country, trying to get to their mission fields (or come home).

That night I went to the Institute building for a choir practice. I was almost out of gas, so I stopped by the station near my house to fill up. What was with the big line of cars?

I woke up the morning of September 12th at 5:30 AM and thought, "Man, I hate getting up this early!" Then I remembered how many people would never be getting up for work or school again. Note to self: don't complain about daily schedule ever again. In my evening graduate class, we didn't talk about whatever was scheduled on the syllabus. One of my fellow grad. students had a cousin who was missing somewhere in Manhattan. We sat around a conference table and talked through possible explanations and tried to give her hope. (The cousin was eventually found in a hospital, knocked into a coma after being trampled on. I'm not sure if she ever came out of the coma.)

Friday afternoon, September 14th, I drove to Ames to visit a friend. We were still in shock. She turned on Duran Duran's greatest hits and we had a dance party with her kids in the living room. We needed to know we could still laugh.

I had to speak in Sacrament Meeting the Sunday after September 11th. I'd hoped I'd get out of it. I was sure the bishop would want to speak instead of me. When the second counselor in the bishopric called, I thought, "Yes! Here's my out!" Instead, he said, "We still want you to speak Sunday. Please make sure it's especially inspirational for the congregation." Gulp. So much for "Hi, I'm new in the ward and here's where I'm from and why I'm here." Somehow that didn't fit this setting. I don't remember what I talked about, but I remember it was hard to do.

Today, eight years and one day later, I spent the day at the Washington DC temple. I can't think of a safer place on earth. Lots has happened in the world in eight years, and our world still isn't a safe place. But WE can be safe individually and in our families. We can make sure our homes are holy places, places where the Spirit resides and keeps us safe. We can serve in the temple. We can live so that we always have the Spirit guiding us so that we're where we need to be at any given time. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is our only true peace.

5 comments:

sally7kids said...

i love your version of the 'INCIDENT'! we need and 'incident' just like this to happen in our home soon. looks wonderful, Sheila.

Fletch said...

We actually went to the temple Sept 12th, too. The night before I had watched a special on TV detailing what actually happened that day in Manhattan, D.C., and Pennsylvania (the crash sites) and I was so overwhelmed with feelings of sorrow and horror once again, like I was reliving that day eight years ago. But instantly I felt gratitude to be able to go to the temple the following day. Same thing--feelings of peace and safety while in the temple. I was also able to take a family name of mine to the temple to be baptized...added bonus...

Glad you had a similar peaceful experience the day after.

Fletch said...

Good for you. Are you disappointed you aren't going to be taught how to read steel drum music?

literaqueen said...

Jenn-- yeah, I was hoping to learn to read drum music, because I know it's different than regular piano-type music, but as long as I get to hit the drums I'm happy.

The Conductor said...

I should remember your talk that day in church, Sheila, but I have to say I don't. I do remember that sort of scary feeling of having the world turned upside down on us all of a sudden when we were so new to Iowa City. And I do remember the great sense of peace I felt just in going to church in the weeks after 9-11, so maybe your talk contributed to that after all. This was a beautiful post.