Sunday, May 17, 2009

Pomp and Circumstance






Caustic. T-t-t-tchudi! A skull-shaped candle lit during a reading of "The Raven" and me wondering if the sprinklers would be set off in the classroom. Review upon review of action research projects. "Don't stay silent, because I'm not afraid to call on people." Enthusiastic, gushy e-mails about enjoying student teaching; and a few not-so-enthusiastic e-mails about student teaching. Frantic brainstorming sessions for unit ideas. Blogs about breaking up student fights. Stress, tears, and frequent impromptu counseling that yes, you chose the right career, yes, you can make it through the 5-year teacher ed. program, and yes, it's worth every bit of work. Best of all, twenty newly minted teachers who are going to make a real difference in kids' lives.




I've been to a lot of graduations, high school and college. I've worked with a lot of preservice teachers. This group, though, is mine; they're the group I started with three years ago when they first entered the program, the first group I've seen all the way through. We've been through a lot, individually and collectively, and I'm so grateful I got to be with them at the start of their teaching journey. I knew this graduation would be emotional for me. I made it just fine until Paige (in the photo with just me) found me at the post-ceremony reception and told me what a difference I made in her life. Then my 5-year students handed me a framed portrait of all of them so I could see them in my office even after they were gone.




The thing is, these people were good before they got to me. I truly believe that certain people are born to teach, and this group was filled with people who've had "teacher" etched into their souls since birth. They said I made a difference in their lives, but I feel like it's the other way around. I'm a better person, a better teacher, because we were together for three years. I wish you all-- all 20 of you-- many, many years of happy graduation moments with your own students. Keep the gift moving through the generations. I can't think of a better job.

4 comments:

Tracy P. said...

Congratulations Dr. Benson and all your students!

Emy5 said...

Sheila, you have an awesome job. Congrats to the people who graduated and to you for helping them do so.

Fletch said...

Wow, Sheila, I wish I could have gone through that program (or any program) with you. That would have been cool. Regardless, I'm glad you had a "I'm doing the job I was meant to do" moment. Thank heavens for those moments!

literaqueen said...

I think Heavenly Father gives us moments like this so we can keep going for the not-so-fun parts-- and so I don't get frustrated that other things in my life aren't happening how I (in all my wisdom- not!) think they should be working out. Moments like this also make up for really bad faculty meetings and politics (did I just write this publicly . . .?).