Sunday, July 5, 2009

Eat local!!








How do you spell gluttony? It's actually two words: Apple Annie's. Some friends visited from out of town this weekend, and after a tour of Fallingwater Friday afternoon, we were all VERY hungry. Apple Annie's was on the way home anyhow, so we stopped to eat.
These pictures explain why we had to wait a long time for a table. These are individual pieces of homemade desserts. Over half the chocolate cake with sea foam (on the right, upside down-- it had some trouble getting home safely) is still in my fridge after my guests have left. This is after said possessor of dessert ate from it TWICE. That's right: it took her TWO DAYS to eat HALF the SINGLE piece of chocolate cake. I got a blackberry cobbler piece (also still in fridge, partially eaten) and I can't remember what the fourth dessert option was.
What I do know is they were BIG. And home-made. Apple Annie's is one of those places that gets featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives-- or should, anyhow. Family-owned, local (it's in Point Marion, PA, 6 miles from my house), just plain good food at a very reasonable price.
Maybe after I digest some dinner I'll have room for a little of the dessert that's still in my fridge.

4 comments:

Fletch said...

No fair. I want cake.

Oh well, I guess I'll go have a bowl of rice chex instead.

(Thanks for rubbing it in.)

literaqueen said...

I'm sure there's a gluten-free, corn syrup-free, dairy-free cake out there with your name on it, Jenn. Or you can get some of that yummy sorbet from New Pioneer.

The Conductor said...

Wow, is that Niki? Has she ever grown up! I'm putting this place on my list of places to visit when I come see you and Fallingwater, okay?

literaqueen said...

Yeah, can you believe this beautiful young woman that Niki's turning into? Absolutely: Fallingwater and Apple Annie's! Now you just need to get over here . . .