Friday, October 2, 2009

We Are the Knights Who Say Ni!!

Things I learned at the Renaissance Fair:
Two-year-olds wouldn't have been very good at defending the castle.
Attending the Fair in costume is a lot more fun. I need to make my own costume for next year. The ones they sell there are WAAAYY too expensive. (See? This is why you should learn to sew. You never know when you'll need a Renaissance outfit.)
History gets sanitized for the sake of pageantry. When they announced Henry VIII's royal court, they didn't say which wife this was. How many had already been beheaded by this point, huh, huh?

In staged jousts, the better horseman always plays the role of the bad guy. Here he is: the Italian champion who insisted on a joust to the death (which we didn't get to see because we had to go home). I guess I also learned that I gravitate towards the bad guy. Hmm.



The Renaissance Fair was a lot of fun. I also learned that a lot of people really have no concept of what Renaissance clothing looks like. I went to the fair on "Talk Like A Pirate Day," and there were TONS of pirates in the crowd. (I guess Sir Francis Bacon was kind of a pirate . . .) Really, this was kind of like a Trekkie convention except with older-looking clothing styles. It was an excuse for people to dress in costume. Lots of fairy wings for sale, along with elf ears and horns (hmm . . . what would Shakespeare have done with that?). I wanted to start quoting insults from Monty Python as I watched the joust, but I refrained.
Next year: Sheila goes in costume. There might be a blog entry or two about the making of the costume this coming summer . . .

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Your blog doesn't stink! Sorry. I will stop by more often. Thanks for all your comment love btw.

literaqueen said...

I think the comments are the best thing about blogs-- it makes them more fun. Thanks!

Bek Bek Bek Bekah said...

I have heard so much about events like that, and I think that they sound like so much fun! I think it would be fun to dress up and stuff. About 2 years ago I went to a Jousting competition in Chicogo, it was in a huge castle, and they served dinner there and your waitresses were called wenches, not a good thing to say these days, but I guess back then it was the norm, anyways it was a lot of fun, they jousted for the princess, and the King was the host. I am excited to see the sewing project, and wish you luck with that.

Fletch said...

I'm trying to remember Monte Python insults...something about stinking like elderberries?

Anyway, I think you should have shouted them out. Sometime I'll fly out and go with you. Before, though, I'll bone up on my Monte Python and we can shout together.

literaqueen said...

Deal! I can use another viewing of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.