Sunday, November 15, 2009

steel drum videos!


Friday was my last steel drum class. I left early last week, so I missed the announcement that friends and family could come watch. I'd been hoping we'd have a recital, but we only learned two songs, so it would have been a very short recital (as in under ten minutes). Instead, I borrowed a friend's flip video to document the fun.



First, here are all the different kinds of drums:





Then come the double pans, which are what I played. Sorry about the "Blair Witch Project" filming quality on these videos.






This was a fun class to take. I would do this again-- provided we could move a little faster through the music. One of the lead drummers had absolutely NO sense of rhythm, so that slowed us down, and another lead drummer had almost no memory for what we'd learned the week before. Amazingly, we pretty much pulled together at the end for our "performance." That always seems to happen. I wonder why.

Some of you may be thinking, "Hey, where's the footage of actual PLAYING?" I tried to upload the video three times. It never worked. I think there was too much for the system to handle. So, sorry. I really did play these drums, honest!

1 comment:

The Conductor said...

This looks sooooo cool! And I was so excited to watch and hear you play. Drat! Just let us know when you post it on YouTube!