Sunday, September 5, 2010

In which I finally learn to practice consistently

Two weeks of harp lessons and (drum roll please) . . . . .

I have practiced EVERY SINGLE DAY!

Okay, for some people that's not a big deal. For me, it's HUGE. To explain, let me describe the typical scene in my life when I was taking piano lessons in high school:

Setting: 6th period English class, last 15 minutes. Scene opens on Sheila, who is finishing whatever assignment is due by the end of the period.
Interior monologue: Hmm. Today's Thursday. I wonder what I'll do after I get my homework done after school? Wait a minute-- today's THURSDAY?!? I have a piano lesson in an hour and I haven't practiced since last Friday!

Cut to scene of Sheila rushing home, throwing her book bag on the living room floor, and frantically flipping through piano books. With only 20 minutes until the lesson, she has just enough time to sort of sight read through each piece, hoping her teacher won't notice that she continues to sight read through the lesson.

Nice, huh? I always intended to practice, but stuff got in the way. Stuff like homework. And boredom. And not wanting to play through pieces more than once. And nice weather outside. And the cat sitting there needing me to pet her. I knew my parents were spending a lot of money on lessons, and I really did like playing the piano. It was the sitting still and practicing the same thing over and over that I didn't like.

For a while I thought my piano teacher was fooled by my sight reading. That was until she said something along the lines of, "You know, Sheila, you'd be a much better pianist if you actually practiced rather than sight reading." Ouch. I got better about practicing when I had longer pieces to learn, but I still never practiced daily.

So now that I'm learning the harp-- and needing to develop a whole new set of finger reflexes, along with callouses-- I'm practicing daily. Yes, part of it is because it's fun, but another part is that I spent a great big chunk of change on the harp AND the lessons, and I want to be good at it. I want the piano reflexes that took years-- no, decades-- to develop NOW, even though I know that won't happen.

What I'm noticing is that I can sit still and focus better than I ever could in high school. I still have a crazy life, but since everything about the harp is new to me (well, except for reading the notes), it's a nice change to sit and practice. I also know I can't fake my way through this time. My sweet sight reading skills can't compensate for the finger strength that can only come if I practice every day. My teacher isn't going to roll her eyes or be disappointed if I don't practice, but I will be disappointed with myself.

Hmm. Where would I be if I'd practiced regularly on piano lo those many years ago . . . ? Now ask me when the last time was that I picked up my flute.

7 comments:

CSIowa said...

I took piano lessons as an adult for a few months about twelve years ago. It was amazing to me how focused I was on doing high-loud exercises on my scales, for example. I had a more mature perspective on the value of the small things I was doing. I could imagine the payoff much better than I ever could as a child and I didn't find it boring.

Kelly said...

Way to go! My sight reading skills never developed due to no practicing. Sigh! Seems we had the opposite problems but the same result.

The Conductor said...

Your non-piano-practicing high school self TOTALLY sounded like ME, all the way down to the comment your teacher made! I remember back to my non-piano-practicing self in grade school, trying out the power of prayer every week just before my piano lesson. Eventually I learned the scripture about faith AND works.

So your post gives me hope that if/when I do buy a harp, I will very likely be motivated enough to practice it! Hooray! (And hooray for YOU!!! I am highly impressed. And still a little jealous. Go you!)

literaqueen said...

Don't be jealous. I biffed Tuesday's lesson even after practicing every day-- AND I didn't have my fingernails cut short enough. The horror! Apparently you can't have ANY fingernails and still play harp.

Fletch said...

Amy, I totally learned that same prayer lesson in high school, only mine was with regards to losing weight. (I was chubby in high school, but didn't like exercise.) I, in all seriousness, used to ask if He would magically help me drop 15 pounds in exchange for 100% seminary attendance.

And Sheila, congrats on your new hobby and new focus. My parents offered me $1000 dollars when I was twelve if I practiced every day for six months and I totally turned it down. If only I could give my kids a "adult perspective" injection so they could appreciate their music lessons right now!

literaqueen said...

Really? Chubby? I just can't picture that. Sorry, skinny little cute person. That's the image I have and will always have-- skinny little cute person with a great smile.

Tracy P. said...

Dude, seriously, time to post again. Or come visit. That would tide me over, as well. ;-)