Sunday, July 20, 2008

Hangin' out in the blueberry patch





I wanted to work in the word "holler" since it's such a West Virginia word, but I couldn't say I was in one since we were on flat ground the whole time. Here's the dialect lesson of the day for those readers who aren't from West Virginia: "holler"= "hollow" as in "Watch out when you come around the bend in the road in the winter because the holler gets lots more snow than the rest of town. We can't even get the truck up out to the road 'til it thaws." (Note: I was REALLY tempted to add something about coon hounds and burning a couch, but I restrained myself.)

Back to the story. Thursday afternoon, two friends and I drove somewhere out in Preston County (I wasn't driving, so I didn't pay attention to the turn-off, which probably wasn't labeled anyhow-- a lot of directions around here start with "Turn right where the coal tipple used to be ten years ago . . .") to pick blueberries. They cost $4 a pint at the farmers market. You can pick them yourself for $1.80 a pound. So, for a little over $7 and an hour in the sun talking with my friends, I came home with a gallon of blueberries. Yes!! The pictures are of my haul and the scene of the event.
By the way, can someone please explain to me how I put the pictures wherever I want in the post? Every time I bring in an image, it'll only go at the top of the post. How do I embed pictures wherever I want?
Actually, I didn't come straight home with the blueberries. My friends and I made cobbler and dinner (the cobbler was the real focus) and just had a lovely evening out on the gazebo watching Mousie the cat catch baby rabbits. Okay, she caught one. And my friend's husband stopped the cat and made her drop the poor lagomorph victim, which ran off and I'm sure is going to live a happy bunny life and share this cautionary experience with her numerous offspring. That one event, though, confirmed why my cats aren't allowed outside. They would catch rabbits and bring them in as gifts. On my bed. Or rather, on me. While I'm sleeping. No thanks. They can do that with their toys and satisfy their predatory instincts.
Anyone want blueberry something or other? I have five cups of blueberries in my freezer . . .






7 comments:

Emy5 said...

Hey, thanks for letting us share some blueberry goodness.

I can explain the picture embedding process more comprehensively in person, so I could come over and show you if you want!

literaqueen said...

Deal! I'll call you early next week (this week's gotten out of control). Happy puppy sitting!

Fletch said...

I'm jealous! (I want blueberries.)

With the picture thing, I usually upload my pictures first in the correct order, then type the words around them...above, below or inbetween. Don't know how to do it any other way. Hope that helps.

literaqueen said...

Isn't there anyplace in Iowa City to pick blueberries anymore? I know the place I'd picked before has closed down, but there's gotta be somewhere that still does it.

Maybe if you're really good I'll send you something blueberry for Christmas.

Garrett and Heather Wood said...

Sheila, we could really use some blueberries. Could you run over a cup or two to us? Thanks!--Heather

Olive Kite said...

I love blueberries!

I just picked some small tomatoes from my garden, but that's not quite the same thing. Not at all.

Hope you are well!

literaqueen said...

No deal, Heather. You have to come get them! Oh, wait . . . if I bring you a cup of blueberries, will you pay for my flight to Germany? Kind of a barter system? I could bring green beans, too. Tempted?