Monday, September 15, 2008

Cooking time with Sheila

Last night I tried a new recipe and my first thought (after Yum!) was, "Hey, I know at least two of my blog readers who would like this." I could have e-mailed you individually, but I thought other members of the blogosphere (isn't that a great word?) might like it, too. Jen: I'm not sure if you can do the milk, but based on your Swiss cheese binge a few weeks ago, I'm thinking you probably can.

Chard and feta pie
from Simply Organic by Jesse Ziff Cool

2 cups shredded potatoes (don't peel them, just shred them after washing)
2 green onions, sliced
3/4 tsp. salt
6 eggs
1/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 T olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 bunches green or red chard or spinach, coarsely chopped-- eyeball this-- it's the bulk of your filling, so you'll want a lot
1 1/2 c. crumbled feta cheese, about 8 ounces-- I almost ran out with one package, so splurge and buy two so you can eat the extra on salads later
1 c. milk
2 T oregano (fresh) or 2 tsp dried
1/2 c. bread crumbs

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch deep dish pie plate-- let me emphasize DEEP here.

Put the potatoes and green onions in a colander and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. of salt. Drain for five minutes, gently squeezing out excess liquid.

Transfer to a medium bowl and add one of the eggs, the flour, and the pepper. Stir until blended. Press into the pie plate to form a crust. Brush with 1 T of the oil. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the crust is browned.

Heat the remaining oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the red onion and cook for four minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and chard/spinach and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until the chard/spinach has wilted. Remove from heat, drain off excess liquid, and cool slightly.

In a large bowl, combine the remaining five eggs, one cup of the feta, the milk, oregano, the rest of the salt, and the chard mixture. Pour into the baked crust. Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs and the remaining 1/2 c. of cheese.

Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. This could spill over, so put the pie on a cookie sheet before putting it in the oven.

I really like this-- it's kind of a quiche with a hashbrown crust. Very yummy! Serves 8.

4 comments:

Emy5 said...

I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS!!!! I just made something similar for dinner tonight and then clicked on your blog. I will definitely try this variation. Thanks Sheila.

literaqueen said...

Really? Are we on the same cosmic time schedule or something? How funny!

Fletch said...

Sounds yummy...can't do eggs, though. Sorry. You are always thinking of me and my pathetic diet. Don't, though. Tonight I am having salmon and sweet potatoes. Yesterday I had chicken stir fry. Sound good?

literaqueen said...

Whoops- forgot about the eggs. You could probably do it with that fake egg substitute stuff, but maybe that has OTHER things in it you can't eat. Salmon and sweet potatoes sound good, at least.