Friday, September 26, 2008

Hey, Buckwheat!




It wouldn't be the end of September in West Virginia without the Preston County Buckwheat Festival. Queen Ceres didn't want to cooperate and look at the camera, but there she is (I didn't get a picture of King Buckwheat-- he had a separate float). This festival lasts four days, with each day having a different theme. Today was children's day, and all the kids in Preston County schools got a day off. That meant lots of marching bands, lots of trucks loaded with soccer teams and football players, lots of little gymnasts doing handsprings down the street (which had to hurt the skin). The WVU Mountaineer made an appearance (see photo), but not the WVU marching band. Rats- they have a great drum line.
This is a pretty fun small town event. Lots of carnival midway rides, funnel cakes, corn dogs, kettle corn, and farm animals. Too bad they haven't got the whole Iowa State Fair food on a stick thing going on. Corn dogs were all I could find on a stick. A couple of sheep tried to eat the tie on my sweater, and I saw a really big Texas longhorn in the cattle barn, so while it wasn't the Iowa State Fair, I at least got the fair vibe.
My one regret: no buckwheat honey this year. The honey vendor said the bees didn't do very well. Stupid colony decline disease! Buckwheat honey is really good stuff. I also didn't get a buckwheat pancake and sausage dinner this year. They're yummy, but I didn't want to wait in line for an hour. I'll just make my own buckwheat pancakes at home. So there.

2 comments:

Fletch said...

Gotta love small town excitement! It's almost too much for me...I could never stand to live in, say, New York City. Sensory overload. I'll stick to the itty-bitty parades and the food-on-a-stick sort of fun. Thank you very much.

PS...I wish I could have some buckwheat pancakes. Mmmm.

literaqueen said...

Can you eat buckwheat? I guess so, since it doesn't have gluten-- at least, I don't think it does.