Sunday, October 12, 2008

an apple a day



Apples are healthy, right? I'm not so sure about picking apples-- that involves ladders, which increases the possibility of me falling. Take a close look at the ladder I'm on and you'll realize this is very much a posed picture. It scared me to get on step three because the only thing that was keeping me from falling was if the ladder was balanced properly against the tree trunk. So here's how things REALLY worked:
My friend Jo Ann, whose trees these are, and who's several inches taller than me, got on the ladder and picked two full buckets of apples. I stood on the ground and grabbed branches to yank the apples over to where I could reach them. Result: lots of twigs and leaves in my hair and half a bucket of apples picked in the time Jo Ann picked two buckets. But the apples are yummy (winesaps), and it was a great fall day to pick.
One more thing: I'm not as big as it looks like in the picture. The jacket really does make me look fat . . .

4 comments:

Emy5 said...

You really are a con artist!

Those apples look so rosy. Whatcha makin'?

literaqueen said...

I made an apple crisp yesterday. I still have lots of apples left over. Want some?

Fletch said...

Hey! I just blogged about going to the apple orchard! Talk about being on the same wavelength! (Or...maybe it's just that time of year. Heehee.)

literaqueen said...

I miss Wilson's Apple Orchard! I'm glad you went. Eat a Song of September apple for me!