Sunday, February 1, 2009

Monster storm? Really?

This morning, after looking at the forecast for the rest of the week, I need to indulge in some venting. A few days ago the weather forecasters predicted a MAJOR winter storm coming our way, one that would drop a FOOT of snow. I thought, "Yes! Finally! Bring it on!" We've had too many days where we'll get an inch or two and the entire city shuts down because nobody clears roads. I say if we're going to shut down town, shut it down for a REAL snowfall. It's been a long time since I've been able to say, "Nope, I can't go anywhere because I really am snowed in." (As opposed to just being scared of sliding off a ridge.)

Alas, when I looked at the weather forecast this morning, it looks like the snow will not be in the monster amounts originally predicted. Instead, it'll be just enough to make the roads nasty to travel on and make me have to figure out whether it's safe for students to come to class or not (or me, for that matter). I want there to be a big enough snowfall that the decision gets made for me. Oh well.

Cat newsflash: Britomart is sitting at my feet with her favorite toy mouse right in front of her. She's decided it's a lot more fun to play with if she drops it in front of me and I throw it (so she can pretend she's hunting a live mouse). I would include video footage, but the cats are notoriously uncooperative for the camera. These cats do NOT know that they're fourteen and a half years old based on how they play. I wonder if they ever sit around while I'm at work and meow, "Oh, my aching back! Shouldn't have dashed up those stairs so fast."

3 comments:

Fletch said...

Are you crazy? A foot of snow takes forever to melt. Are you telling me you would prefer a six-foot-high mound of snow by the mailbox all the way through the month of May? NO WAY. Be grateful for the skiffs that only put you out for a day.

literaqueen said...

Well see, snow in West Virginia doesn't stay around forever like it does in Iowa. It melts within two or three days. It'll snow, I'll shovel, the temperature will rise to the 40's, and then it'll dump snow again. Kind of a mind game, like the weather's saying, "Ha! You thought spring was on its way? WRONG!"

I just want enough snow so that it feels like a real snowfall instead of just making the roads sloppy. If they'd clear roads here, I wouldn't care; but they don't. Maybe I'm just crabby because it's February.

The Conductor said...

I can see what you mean... but sometimes in Buffalo I would wish they'd just cancel school already -- there would be huge snowstorms but they always managed to clear the roads just fine.