Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Nope, no basement

I just tried to download a snazzy picture of the Alamo to start off this entry, but for some unknown reason it wouldn't work (hmm, couldn't be user error . . .). So just imagine the Alamo. Or, to quote Rod Serling, "Picture if you will."

Picture, if you will, an old Mexican mission in San Antonio, Texas. Said mission was the site of a horrific battle. Said mission was a lot bigger than what's presently there.

Okay, this entry really isn't about the Alamo, other than to say I went there last week. I stayed in a hotel right behind it while I was at a conference. Since it was right there, one day I sprung the $5 for the audio tour. Not a happy story behind the Alamo, but I learned a lot. A few quick facts:

The curvy roof deal that everyone recognizes was added many years later. When the Alamo was attacked, there was no roof over it.

All that's left is some gardens and the sanctuary dealie where everyone finally made their last stand. The original site was something like 3 acres in size, with only 200 men to defend what needed 500 men to defend properly.

There are "Alamo crackers" in the gift shop.

I liked San Antonio. Not sure why the Riverwalk was created, but it has some good restaurants. Best of all, it doesn't snow in San Antonio, or at least not while I was there, so I got five days away from cold and snow. Note: it's snowing outside at the moment. I have a hunch it's going to be a loooonng winter . . .

2 comments:

Fletch said...

Yeah, we had snow on Sunday and Monday and more is coming tomorrow. Everyone says this winter is supposed to worse than last year's...and I'm thinking whose "everybody" and where are they getting their information from, and, for crying out loud, last time I checked I did not live in Toronto!

But anyway, I'm glad you got a reprieve.

literaqueen said...

Tell the snow to go away because I'm coming to Iowa City the first weekend in January. I don't want to be stuck in the Chicago airport the whole time.