Saturday, November 8, 2008

Read This Book!!

Okay, so this isn't a book review site-- but I started a book the other day that's SO, SO GOOD!! It's called The Zinnia Tales, published by Mountain Girl Press, and it's a collection of short stories by Appalachian women about Appalachian women. I'm a big fan of memoir types of writing, and these stories, even though they're fictional, read like creative nonfiction memoirs. Some are funny, some are poignant (I'd never thought about how women and children are affected by coal mine disasters in quite the way two stories depict them), and all of them celebrate strong women and sisterly bonds. We're reading it for book group, although I'm not sure how many women are actually planning on coming. Do yourself a favor and reward yourself with this very satisfying book!

And by the way, I'm probably the only person in Morgantown staying home and reading a book instead of watching the Cincinnati vs. WVU game that decides if WVU goes to the Orange Bowl. Yeah, I'm a geek. But I'm warm inside my house and all those Mountaineer fans are FREEZING!

5 comments:

Fletch said...

Yeah, I'll have to read it sometime.

Thanks for another suggestion. Always good to have.

literaqueen said...

Hey, no problem. You can come to book group on Thursday night if you want, too . . . oh wait, that's kind of a long drive.

literaqueen said...

Wanna come to book group Thursday night? We're talking about it . . .

Pamela said...

I would like to read that, too. I'll have to look for it at the library. Oh, and btw, where did you get WV cookie cutters?

literaqueen said...

I found the West Virginia cookie cutter at a little general store in Cairo, which is somewhere in Wood county between Morgantown and Parkersburg (I was on a bus, so I have no idea how exactly we got there).