Monday, August 4, 2008

Big John yells "Fore!"

I forgot to bring my camera on today's miniature golf adventure, so I borrowed a couple of images from the course web site. When I first moved here and was driving to Clarksburg for stake conference, we passed a big metal coal miner statue that was slowly rotating. "Wait, what's that?" I asked. I figured it was some kind of coal monument. Even better-- that's Big John, and he's the star attraction of Coal Country Miniature Golf. This image doesn't do him justice. He looks smallish from the highway, but he's HUGE!! Next time I'm definitely bringing my camera. So many photo opportunities!
The whole course is themed around coal mining. When you start each hole, there's a little placard that explains whatever piece of coal equipment is featured in the hole. Drills, fans, coal cars, pieces of the supports for walls (which, I learned from reading a placard, would sometimes collapse under the weight of the mine ceiling-- how very comforting). So kind of a combination of cheap entertainment and a bit of local history. Not that I golfed very well. My final score was 58. If I'd been at par, I should have had a score of 44. I stink at putting. I did better than my friend, though- her score was 67. Granted, she got a hole in one and I never did. And we both ricocheted off mining equipment a few times. No lost golf balls, though. That makes us pros, right?
There's also a little coal museum that's dedicated to mining disasters. There have been plenty in West Virginia, mostly right in this area. Yup, something to be uh, proud of? The best part of the museum for me was the Three Stooges golf poster on the outside wall. My brother had that exact same poster in his room as a teenager. Note to Karen: you want to hop on a plane right now after that bit of info, don't you? Get over here!

3 comments:

Fletch said...

Okay, seriously, if you are trying to lure us all there for a visit you have completely missed the mark, Sheila!

(I think your blueberries were on the right track, though.)

Fletch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
literaqueen said...

What, a coal mining- themed miniature golf course doesn't make you want to hop on a plane right now?