Sunday, March 8, 2009

Springtime is Demolition Time


It's been almost half a year since I did my last major home improvement project, so time to start again! Here's the current wallpaper in my upstairs bathroom. I've been wanting to tear it down since I bought the house two years ago. A whole panel was coming loose above the tub, so I figured the glue couldn't be adhering that well anymore.

So yesterday I started removing wallpaper. This time it's in the original part of the house, so the walls are plaster. Unfortunately, some of the plaster crumbled off with the wallpaper . . .
Got some repair to do before I can paint . . .
Note also the linoleum. Once I paint, that lineoleum's getting covered over with something less 1970's pseudo-Aztec. The toilet's getting replaced, too. And maybe the light fixture over the sink, if I'm feeling brave and my electrician's schedule is free.
So . . . anyone up for a visit?

9 comments:

Twinmomwv said...

I love demolition time! There's just something about decor circa 1970's that is so inspiring. Any thoughts on paint color?

literaqueen said...

I like the idea of a sand color, maybe a light tan. The shower curtain I already have has seashells, so I think I want a neutral beach theme.

Kate said...

you know, changing a standard sort of light fixture, whether ceiling or vanity light over the sink, is a pretty simple, straightforward process. I bet you could do it yourself once you've read the instructions, but it's good to have a second person there in case you slip or electrocute yourself. :) Then again, if you plan to change something major (like forcing you to cut a bigger hole in the sheetrock, etc) or your wiring is hopelessly out of date and crumbling, it's best to call in reinforcements.

literaqueen said...

The larger hole thing is what I'm nervous about. It looks like it's probably pretty standard, but nothing in this house YET has been standard when I've started working on it.

Fletch said...

Good luck. Make sure you take some good "after" photos. I like the neutral beach theme. Sounds nice.

The Conductor said...

We have plaster walls in our old (but already, thankfully, redecorated) house too... I keep freaking out when I find more little chips the kids have knocked (or picked) off. We're renting, so I keep telling them we have to be careful since this isn't our house. Someday I hope to change that to, "We have to be careful because this IS our house!"

Good luck with all that fun stuff. Can't wait to see the "after" pictures!

literaqueen said...

I guess I should be thankful that my cats can't pick little chips out of the plaster on the wall corners, huh? All they do is rub against them and purr.

Twinmomwv said...

I'm reading your comment responses! I picked out "Almond Chip" when we redid one of our bathrooms and love it. I got it from WallyWorld. BTW, I had so much fun seeing you today and doing music together!

literaqueen said...

Almond Chip, huh? I'll have to check it out.

It was fun to see you yesterday, too! Get that house sold so you can come back to Morgantown!