Monday, December 15, 2008

Energy building or energy draining?

A colleague reminded me of an exercise that's intended to teach students how to balance their lives. Here's how it works: You make a schedule of your day and categorize each activity based on whether it builds energy, drains energy, or is a complete waste of time. The goal is to have more energy building activities than energy draining ones (duh!). Let's see how I did today:

Slept in an hour later than normal-- should have been energy building, but I missed my normal morning run, which definitely builds energy AND made me feel guilty for staying in bed like a slug-- so that's an energy drain
Read scriptures-- energy building
Wrote a conference proposal draft and sent it off to colleagues-- energy draining, although ultimately the project is energy building-- it would be building if I weren't already so tired
Went to lunch with several colleagues-- energy building conversation
Waited an hour for our lunch to arrive-- energy draining
Finished conference proposal-- energy building
Went to Michael's to find materials to make ornaments for Thursday night's ornament exchange, which entailed driving in the rain as it got dark-- energy draining
Ate dinner-- energy building
Paid bills-- energy building- I know, weird, but I always finish paying bills and think, "Yes! Made it this month!"
Family home evening-- energy building

So how'd I do? I think maybe I broke even. Hmm. Gotta work on this.

4 comments:

Emy5 said...

Breaking even is better than having too many draining exercises.

Waiting an hour for a meal? Where was that?

literaqueen said...

Cheddar's. For some reason the guy on the salad line was "stressed" and couldn't figure out how to put salads together quickly-- but he got other people's orders done who came after us . . .

Fletch said...

Too scared to do this particular exercise, but it's interesting to see how yours turned out. Not too shabby!

literaqueen said...

Do the exercise and then just don't make it public-- or pick a day that's going really, really well.