Saturday, December 13, 2008

Happy Birthday, Grandma May!!

Today, assuming Grandma May were still alive, would be her 100th birthday. She died in 2004, so she came pretty close to reaching that centenarian mark. Ten years ago, for Grandma's 90th birthday, the entire May clan put together a scrapbook where every family member got a page to write Grandma things they loved about her. Grandma won't be reading this blog (I'm sure she's got way more important things to do on the other side of the veil), but I want to celebrate Grandma's birthday by listing some things I love about her:

Grandma's noodle candy-- it's the last Christmas she ever gave me, and she made it despite really poor vision due to macular degeneration.
She used the word "scads" all the time-- as in "I have scads of laundry to do today."
Her visits to our house, driving from Ojai to San Jose in her green Dodge Dart-- when I saw that car as I came home from school, I'd run for the house because I knew she was there.
Staying feisty and energetic well into her early 90's-- guess who toured Europe when she was 80? Do I have those genes?
Her love of music.
Her height-- or lack thereof. I think there are hobbit genes in my family . . .
Her rock solid testimony of the Gospel.
Ice cream pie and lemonade made from lemons grown in her yard.
Her insistence that I drink pulpy orange juice even when I complained as a small child-- she saw past my stupidity when I couldn't.
The hours of sewing she put in to make clothes for me and my sister.
Her independence and how she put her life back together and reinvented herself after Grandpa May died suddenly.
Her tolerance of the cats in our house, even though she always got bitten by fleas during every visit (we tried to control them, honest).
Her sense of humor and her laugh.

I love you, Grandma! Can I be like you when I grow up?

4 comments:

Fletch said...

Oh, I'm all choked up now. That made me miss my own grandma who died just before Laura was born (Laura was named after her), but my grandma was only 63, and she had two boob jobs, tanned all day in her bikini, and drove around in a black Mercedez right to the end. (She also volunteered as a candy striper at the hospital for 40 years and bought toys for the sick kids there and passed out Books of Mormon to the rest.)

Thank heavens for memories, right? And also...I'm not so afraid of death, either, if it means I will get to see my grandma again when I die.

literaqueen said...

I'm hitting that veil running when it's time to cross over. I know who's waiting. Not like I'm anxious to go early or anything.

Emy5 said...

Sounds like you had a lovely relationship with your grandma. Those must be nostalgic memories for you now.

Isn't it great that we believe that our spirits never die?

literaqueen said...

Absolutely! And I think Grandma's spirit is 6 foot 7.